Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Clarissane reviews: Nong & Jimmy Thai Seafood BBQ @ Taman Cahaya, Ampang

I for one am a huge fan of Thai food, probably due to the fact that I cannot live without chilli and I get the ‘high’ by eating spicy food: the spicier, the BETTER! :P

Have been hearing all about this Nong & Jimmy Thai food joint from a friend of mine who raves about how good it is. So one night, we all decided to give it a go; four people taking a drive all the way down to KL, beating the evening rush just to satisfy our cravings for Thai food.

To date, I’ve been here twice and I still cannot get enough of their Mango Salad. I just love the sour-ish kick that the half-raw mango gives! The combination of this with cili padi and peanuts is OMG! Probably it’s just me who enjoys it that much, I always order this dish in whichever Thai joint I go to, so probably I’m just slightly obsessed :p

I always hint to my mum that I can have this for breakfast, lunch and dinner (in hopes she’ll make them for me..so far, fat hopes!)

Every table around seem to have the Thai Fried Rice as accompaniment to their meal, instead of white rice. To me, the taste is mediocre, nothing much to shout about..its something like our Chinese style Yong Chow Fried Rice with egg and prawns. But I’ve to say, they are pretty generous with the prawns inside this dish.

We asked for further recommendations on what to order and our waiter suggested trying their Grilled Squids which comes with their special chilli sauce. This dish was not bad, the aroma of the charcoal gave a nice smell and taste to the springy and chewy squid. This would be a good replacement instead of the usual fried squids.

And of course, our Thai meal would be incomplete without the famed Tom Yam Seafood which is a MUST in every Thai meal. This dish was passable, with pretty generous ingredients. I like my tomyam sour and spicy which gives the ooomph! The one here however was slightly on the sweet side (perhaps to suit the local palette) so it really depends on whether you prefer your tomyam to be sweet or spicy. Also, I think they use tomyam paste because I did find some traces of tomyam paste that didn’t dissolve properly in the soup.. so hmmm not so sure about its authenticity.

In both my visits, I ordered the same crab dish: Black Pepper Crab. This taste something like our Chinese-style Kam Heong with a slight tinge of Marmite. I’ve no complains for this dish, it was pretty good.. I licked my fingers clean! :P

Since there were only the four of us, we couldn’t really order much unfortunately. I did try out their Grilled Stingray and Kangkung Belacan in my first visit here ages ago but it was so-so, nothing very special worth mentioning.

We paid almost RM30/pax for our food. Not very cheap, but considering most of our dishes comprised of seafood, I guess it is pretty much okay.

I recently also discovered another delicious Thai food joint in PJ which I think, is on par, or probably even better than Nong & Jimmy! Have been there twice but failed to snap pictures of my visit. Ah, yessss this calls for another Thai food visit! :D

Address:
Lot 27363, Jalan Cahaya 1,
Taman Cahaya,
68000 Ampang.

4 comments:

Nava K said...

the crab - really cannot resist. You really sound like me, into spicy food.

:: Clarissane :: said...

Nava: Yeah the crabs are awesome! Yes yes I LOVE SPICY FOOD! Glad you share the same taste :D

maro^gal said...

grilled squid and tom yam seafood looks delicious...

:: Clarissane :: said...

Maro: It is indeed! :D

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com

Edits by ronnycakes